Tuesday, November 1, 2011

To the Lake Falls Home

What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wilderness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.
-Gerard Manley Hopkins

I just registered for a five credit class called Wilderness Writing, and I couldn't be happier. I only have three classes left that I need to take to graduate. I met with my academic adviser earlier this week and she had all kinds of suggestions about classes I could take beyond the three I need. She encouraged me to pick up an extra internship or take another history class. And I said, "no. I don't want to." It was very liberating. I think that sometimes I forget that I'm an adult, this is my life, and even though there are oodles of opportunities to strengthen my resume, I don't have to take them all. I get to choose. And I'm choosing Wilderness Writing for several reasons.

1. We go camping and hiking every other weekend. We get to go cross country skiing and sleep in yurts and generally romp around outside. Last winter my outdoor activities consisted of the daily trudge to campus and back. I need some wilderness in my life.
2. Three credits of the class are for creative writing. I enjoy creative writing, and I haven't been doing much this semester.
3. It is my last semester here and I'd like to NOT be swamped with more work than required.
4. I'm taking it from the professor I went to England with, and he is a lovely human being.
5. I want to experience the area before I leave. I've only gone on a handful of hikes in the five years I have been here. I judge harshly because there is a general lack of water in this state, but I'd like to appreciate what there is out here.

Beyond all of those reasons, I just generally want to take the class. And I think it is good for me to learn to say no to professors. I'm glad they are here and they can help us so much, and I don't think that they really mind when we say no. I think they are trying to present us with what they believe are the best options, and then we get to choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment