Thursday, October 20, 2011

What is a Blog?

Since I asked the question, "what is a book?" in a previous post, I thought I'd ask the same about a blog. I sort of touched on this before when I wrote about how I have mixed feelings about blogs. Mostly, I feel like I am trying to blog, but I still don't really know how to do it.

I write in my journal faithfully. I don't always write what happened during the day. Mostly I write down things that I hear or see during the day that I think are interesting, and I'd say about 50% of my journals are me scheming on how I am going to figure out a way to travel. I started writing every day while I was on a study abroad in England. The study abroad was a literature and creative writing program, and it is basically how I got my English minor. We hiked from Edinburgh to Wales and down to London in two months. We had class in pastures and on mountains, we read Shakespeare and Dickens (who I don't really like) and Elliot (who I do really like). It was all very quaint, and it changed the way that I thought, and think, about writing and reading and life in general. At the beginning of the trip one of our professors said that we would "read the landscape and hike the literature". Ever since that trip, writing and travel are in some ways the same thing in my mind.

In class we always talk about the importance of audience. Going back to where I started with my journals,
I am my journals audience (and perhaps a vague idea of my "posterity" - whatever that means). The...internet, and all of its participants, are a blog's audience. This blog is more specifically for my writing 150 class. I don't know what I have to say to you all!

But look at that, I posted 2 blogs today.

1 comment: