Monday, November 7, 2011

Confession

I've been in college for nearly five years, and I still have a hard time bringing myself to sit down and write a paper before crunch time. There is just something so motivating about knowing that I have to hand in a paper in 24 hours - and something so...distracting...in knowing that I still have three days to write. Why is this? I do all of my research, take notes, make outlines, but when it comes to actually writing the paper, I need to feel like there is nothing else my attention could or should be drawn to except the blank word document in front of me.

I'm not the only one. Paul Rudnick, a playwright and novelist, is quoted as saying, "Writing is 90 percent procrastination: reading magazines, eating cereal out of the box, watching infomercials. It's a matter of doing everything you can to avoid writing, until it is about four in the morning and you reach the point where you have to write."

I don't know why this is.

5 comments:

  1. That is an awesome quote and totally true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today at work one of my coworkers tried to get me to tell her my ways of getting motivated to write a paper. She was surprised to find that despite being a writer my method is also procrastination, desperation, and compulsion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Procrastination must be a disease. I've got it too. Our lack of writing in our blogs faithfully is a sign of it! Is there an antidote for it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I write best under pressure...that might just be my way of justifying it though.
    For some reason Facebook gets really interesting whenever I need to do something important!

    ReplyDelete