Monday, December 5, 2011

The Student Review

I'm writing this blog because I feel like every student at our university should be aware of a publication called "The Student Review." Students have finally and thankfully restarted the independent student newspaper, widening your newspaper choices beyond the Daily Universe. As we all read in class on Thursday, the Daily Universe can be pretty one sided (and disturbing). The Student Review provides an open forum for student thought. It encourages positive discussion about our campus culture, a thing that is sorely needed. And, before you get too paranoid, it isn't subversive or negative about our school. It seeks to be balanced. And I love it. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Ok, mostly I just love the fact that it exists. The Daily Universe has its place - mostly I read it for amusement (when I can convince myself that people aren't really seriously that narrow minded).

image courtesy of Clancy's blog, which is sadly no longer active, but still amusing.

As an example, I'd just like to point out one difference I recently noted between the two.
An article published on 7 November 2011 titled "Romance Novels on the Rise" was hands down THE MOST OFFENSIVE thing I have ever read in the Daily Universe. The author swept the Bronte sisters right into the same category as Stephanie Meyer and "bodice-ripping" (seriously, they used that term. seriously) novels. In just the first paragraph, they simplified all literature written by women as a cute little side category of "chic-lit", and they basically offended me on every level. Plus, they quoted some poor misguided soul who whined publicly about how his wife complains about him playing Call of Duty, while she reads romance novels. Ok ok I'm not being fair, but read the article here and be offended with me.

In contrast, the December issue of the Student Review published an article about the disturbing decline in BYU support of Women studies. Not only is this issue more important than Romance Novels, it is also REAL. for the love. Read the Student Review. Here.

2 comments:

  1. I read the Student Review for the first time yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I was offended. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete